Friday, April 20, 2012

Oncology2

Knowing where some cancers metastasize, and what metastases go to which organs, can be important. So I've got a few mnemonics and trends to help me memorize these places and organs associated.

First off, notice that Lung and Breast cancers are involved in all these metastases. They are, in fact, the top cancers. (Lung is the top killer, but breast is the top incidence in women)

Metastasis to the brain:
First Aid uses "Lots of Bad Stuff Kills Glia," but I like using "Cancer: Some Love Killing Brain Glia" ...I don't know why, but I can remember that one better.
Lungs
Breast
Skin
Kidney
GI

Metastasis to the liver:
GI related cancers + your most common cancers (lung and breast). Makes sense with the portal system and all.

Cancer Sometimes Penetrates Benign Liver, most common to least common:
Colon > Stomach > Pancreas > Breast > Lung
*Note that Dr. Goljan (amazing pathologist extraordinaire) says that Lung cancer is the most common, more than all the others. Take that info the way you like. I think I'm gonna go with colon cancer as more likely to metastasize to the liver through the portal circulation, it just makes sense (sorry Dr. Goljan)

Metastasis to the bone:
-Make an association with GU cancers, which are able to access the vertebral column through the batson paravertebral venous plexus. The vertebral column is the most common site of bone metastasis.

P.T. Barnum Loves Kids.
Prostate
Testes
Breasts
Lungs
Kidney

Metastasis to the lungs:
"Real Hardcore Cancers Fill Both My Lungs" (I like to read it HardCore cancers, to remind me the "core" is "choriocarcinomas)
Renal Cell Carcinoma
Hepatocellular Carcinoma (which, btw, is also known as a Hepatoma)
Choriocarcinoma
Follicular Thyroid Carcinoma
Breast
Melanoma

Metastasis FROM the liver
Loves the Adrenals. Also your common ones that receive metastasis get their revenge on the lungs: Breast, Brain, Liver.

Metastasis to the heart
You don't often think about the heart, so I thought I'd just say that Melanoma loves the heart. You also get a lot of Lymphomas metastasizing to the heart. And your two commons: Lung and Breast. Note that metastasis is more common than primary heart cancer.

Whew, that's a lot of mnemonics. Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things. See the link below for more info.


    #amazing
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a very useful post. I'm a cardiac nurse and I needed a cancer resource (strange territory for me) and I found this site.
    Good article!

    ReplyDelete